Tuesday, November 3, 2009

If Lindsay Price was my sister, I think I would know about it

"A man's called a traitor, or liberator. A rich man's a thief, or philanthropist. Is one a crusader, or ruthless invader? It's all in which label is able to persist."
- The Wizard, from the musical Wicked

So today for some reason, I randomly read a slightly inaccurate Wikipedia article here. (Well, I mean, before I changed a small part of it today, so what you may see now will reflect those changes). Prior to today, the "Background Information" box on the upper right said,

Former members
Lindsay Price (1996)

Come again? Lindsay Price, the actress, from Alhambra, was a member of this group from Vallejo? It gets even more inaccurate; the text in the "Early Career" section said:

"...and another Original member named Lindsay but before anything was recorded she later left the group."

Okay, now that made me pissed (besides some grammatical errors in this poorly written article). That's what prompted me to take action and correct the name on the article. Also, she didn't leave "before anything was recorded" in "1996". She left in 1999 after "All Day, All Nite" was recorded. Her voice can be heard in that song, as well as the unreleased song "True Love". During that time she arranged most of the vocal harmonies for their songs and performances because she can play piano by ear, and yet absolutely no credit was given to her.

Looks like some of these manager/producer types are trying to keep a secret here. In fact, a lot of that "Early Career" section is vague enough to be inaccurate. Lindsay and Melissa sang in talent shows in elementary school. Marie and Aimee were friends from another school. In their freshman year in high school, the four joined forces. Melissa brought Monica in, rounding out the original five. They sang for a school talent show and that's how they began. The song they sang was Lindsay's acapella arrangement of "Castle On A Cloud" from Les Misérables. (BTW, I have video of Lindsay and Melissa singing that arrangement well before that high school performance, when they were in elementary school.)

So I told my sister that I want to edit the "Early Career" section (after I changed "Lindsay Price"). She wouldn't have it. She says that it's all in the past and all that matters to her is that the few who were there know what actually happened. So now I am extremely frustrated because I believe credit should be given where credit is due. I strongly believe that if there are thousands of the group's fans in the U.S. and Philippines, they will read that Wikipedia article, believe it as fact, and copy and paste the text on their own fanpages. Just do a Google search on them and you'll see what I mean. This really pisses me off.

There a lot of other stories that I won't get into here. Ultimately, Lindsay left the group due to differences with the managers/producers. But I'm not asking that the entire story be told. If I'm reading a Wikipedia article on the internet, I would like for it to be unbiased and factual. Currently, their Wikipedia article is poorly written and probably written in favor of the managers/producers. The article should at least acknowledge that Lindsay was the vocal arranger of the group in their early years, and that she did record "All Day, All Nite", and that she left in 1999. By the way, here's a photo of them in 1998:



Two of her coworkers said I should revise the text. Her husband said I should revise the text. I really think the internet needs to know that little morsel of fact. But she wants me to leave it alone. And I don't want to disrespect her wishes.

>:(

No comments: