Thursday, May 7, 2009

Swordfights! Phaser shootouts! Decent writing! Well placed humor! I had fun at the movies!

I was never a hardcore Star Trek fan. I've only caught a few episodes of the original, and a bit more of The Next Generation. But dagnabbit, this 2009 reboot was awesome, well executed, and importantly, fun. I think it successfully made the franchise fresh for casual moviegoers, and did not alienate the core fans. And it wasn't a stupid kids' movie (I'm looking at you George, Michael, and Stephen). J.J. Abrams finally made something I can appreciate (I hated Cloverfield, wasn't impressed with MI3, and surprisingly, I don't watch Lost). It was literally a fun ride at the theaters. I am definitely watching this again.

Below is a hilarious video detailing the "shortcomings" of the movie:

Trekkies Bash New Star Trek Film As 'Fun, Watchable'

To the studios: if you make good movies, I'll be an avid supporter of your movie. I'll watch it more than once at the theater, buy the merch, then buy the special editions on DVD. You'll get good business out of me. Make a bad movie, then, well, let's just say Wolverine didn't deserve $12.

No comments: