Panelists included Mitch Hurwitz, Josh Weinstein, Will Arnett, Kenan Thompson, Henry Winkler, and Tom Kenny. All were funny. Mitch Hurwitz suggested we write letters to Fox about including a joke that was rejected from the show because writing letters "worked so well for Arrested Development". Yeah, he's not bitter. Will Arnett always wanted to talk and interrupted Mitch and Josh a lot. Kenan and Henry did their voices from the show. Kenan's character's voice sounds a lot like my English teacher from high school (she was a southern lady who always said "it's not pronounced grammer, it's pronounced gramm-AR"). Tom Kenny did a Sarah Palin impression by "squinting his eyes and pointing". He didn't have to do a Spongebob voice, he already looked and sounded like him normally. After the panel was over, I went back to work.
(Haunting Philip Glass music for the next paragraphs)
Immediately after work I went straight to the crazy line for a chance to see Watchmen in IMAX. Someone told me that this is supposedly the first time the movie screened in IMAX, since previous press screenings have been in the standard size. When I got to the line, I immediately saw my friend and his wife and joined them. While in line, we amused ourselves by talking to fellow linemates and taking random pictures.
(While in line, this statement couldn't be more true.)
After a longish wait, I drew from the hat and pulled out a raffle ticket with a smiley face. I won (thanks to the lucky Olivia on my arm). Immediately after, my friend pulled out a similar ticket. Unfortunately, his wife didn't win. They said we can try again, so we went to the back of the line. After waiting longer, she drew again, and still didn't get a smiley ticket. But the lady remembered her and gave her a bracelet anyway. There is still some good in this world.
Now with the floor closed, and not much chance to do anything else (I bought only this one action figure at retail price), we had 4 hours to kill. We ate dinner, but that didn't kill enough time. We ended up buying tickets to Underworld: Rise of the Lycans, starring Fake Beckinsale. I didn't even see the previous two movies. I thought this third one was craptacular and left just before it ended only to find that the Watchmen line had grown tremendously. We waited another 75 minutes to get into the theater, and ended up on the front row and center of an IMAX screen. That's okay, because Dave Gibbons was in front of us introducing the movie. Of course we had to watch the movie looking up, and left and right to see the whole picture. It was still a good experience, and a good movie. One scene in particular garnered applause. I'm not annoyed at some story modifications as others were. I did notice some scenes were cut out, most likely due to pacing, but Zack Snyder said there will be a longer director's cut in the future. That's the one I'll be buying, and not this theatrical version.

I didn't get to do much at this year's WonderCon. I didn't meet a lot of artists, models, or celebrities. I didn't buy a lot of books or action figures, and I only had a handful of freebies. But I did get to see the movie event of the season.
No comments:
Post a Comment