Saturday, March 22, 2008

Victory over my Sansa Express



I refuse to buy an iPod. I also refuse to buy a new MP3 player when my current one is 8 months old. That stubbornness paid off. After 3 hours of reading through the Sandisk forums and experimenting, I emerge victorious (cue the last few minutes of "The Barbarian Horde" from the Gladiator soundtrack to see how I feel). Apparently many owners of the Sansa Express have the same problem of it not turning on. I tried many of the users' solutions
multiple times. Long story short, it was a mix of hard-resetting vs soft-resetting, MTP mode vs MSC mode, plugging and unplugging, multiple restarts, and a lot of Windows' Device Manager. I did all this while watching Gremlins, which I bought from Target today for $7.50 (related post here).

You know what's funny? This isn't the first time this happened. I had a similar problem mid-September of last year. The solution Sandisk gave me of plugging it into a USB port near the power supply worked back then, but not this time around. Customer support sucks and takes forever, and there are no manuals to help with this. For mine I had to switch it to MSC mode in Windows' Device Manager, then update the firmware using Sansa's updater. After 3 hours of trials and errors, that pretty much was it. I would've saved 3 hours if I knew that's what I had to do in the first place.

Despite all that shit I had to go through, this is a pretty good MP3 player. It's definitely an iPod killer with all its features. But stability is definitely an issue and I urge you NOT to get it, unless you know what the fuck you're gonna do when it craps out on you.

No comments: