The Planet Hulk DVD arrived from Netflix yesterday. Being adamant and stubborn about not watching it until I read it first, I stayed up late last night reading Planet Hulk from start to finish. I finished the book around around 3:30 am and attempted to start the DVD. I fell asleep.
But I just finished the DVD just now. Hmm, the first half was pretty faithful, despite being very condensed. The Silver Surfer cameo is replaced by Beta Ray Bill, but that part still plays out pretty faithfully. The second half plays out very differently because it fell into the trappings of needing to have some twists and an exciting climax. Nothing about Hulk creating this peaceful utopia and uniting the different species that live on Sakaar. Miek doesn't physically evolve. And where's the female Brood gladiator? There are no Bruce Banner scenes. I guess I can understand the removal of the book's bittersweet ending, though I would've preferred it. Maybe if they did an animated version of World War Hulk?
All in all, a solid animation feature. I wasn't wowed or anything, but satisfied. I'll just think of the animated version as a cliff-notes, action-packed version of the same story. It's still nice to see violence and blood in these PG-13 superhero DVDs. When I get the chance I'll read World War Hulk, since I wanna see what happens next.
1 comment:
yeah I watched it a couple days ago too and while the story was somewhat similar they did change some things as well as omit. I'm looking forward to WWH and the Crisis feature as well.
Post a Comment